Friday, June 6, 2008

Apartment (Not) For Rent

I don't know if it's too early to be looking for a place to live in Perpignan, but I simply cannot help myself. My list of Google searches is littered with bilingual phrases, like "apartments for rent in Perpignan," "louer une chambre perpignan," and "apartment rent perpignan -holiday -vacation." Apparently, to "rent an apartment" in British English is akin to finding a vacation rental for the summer. I don't want that.

I did find one place that, despite being a vacation rental, can also be rented out long-term. It's right in the center of town, nicely furnished, and has a terrace. I talked to the propriƩtaire (the landlord), and they would be willing to give me a discounted price for the 7 months that I would be there: intead of paying 4 weeks of rent per month, they would give me the 4th week for free. How very nice! But still, it would be 950 euros (almost $1,500 -- yikes!!) month. Granted, the Fulbright Commission would take care of most of that, but I don't want to blow my whole paycheck on my apartment! So I'll keep looking. Still, I thought I would include the link here, just so you could see (I'm looking at the "top floor" apartment):

http://myperpignan.com/Perpignan-accommodation.html

The thing is, I'm in love with the kitchen. But is the kitchen worth 950 euros a month??

Perpignan 2

1 comment:

Sasha said...

Hi Sarah,
I was just googling Perpignan the other day and I stumbled across your blog. I was the Fulbright assistante in Perpignan last year, so if you have any questions or want tips, I'd be happy to fill you in. Drop me an email at abilow@gmail.com.
Sasha