Thursday, April 30, 2009

Nothing Gold Can Stay, and other timeless clichés

Well, as things tend to do, my time in France has officially come to an end. I had my last day of class on Tuesday, and later that day filled out the Fulbright Final Report. So I am indeed done with my time as a Fulbrighter to France. It's been an exciting time.

Now, I'm at a hotel near the airport in Barcelona. Tomorrow morning, I'll take the shuttle over to the airport, probably get scanned for the swine/H1N1/Mexican flu, and then be on my way home...in about 20 hours. I'm very excited to get home, of course, but sad about the many things that I'll leave behind. There is, after all, so many wonderful aspects about living in Europe. I'll miss the sidewalk cafes, the slow pace of life, shopping in general, and all the rest that comes from the exoticism of living abroad.

Looking back, I see so much that I wish that I had done, or done more often. But I also see a year spent meeting new people, making new friends, trying new foods, seeing new movies, going new places, learning new things, speaking new languages, and making memories that will last forever. It's been an up and down ride for sure...

But totally, absolutely, and completely worth it.

No comments: