Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One Thing I Will NOT Miss: French Bureaucrazy

If there's one thing I hate in France, it's putting up with any sort of paperwork. I don't have a clue why, but the ALL of the French (and yes, that's a generalization because in 16 months of living here, I've yet to see it contradicted!) are slow, inefficient, and frustrating in producing any sort of documentation.

For example, here's a run-down of what I've had to deal with this year alone (my year in Poitiers had its own fair share of frustrations:

- Getting my carte de sejour (long-term visa): I had to wait in October until I was assigned a medical visit that I HAD to have in order to get my visa. I ended up not ever showing this document to another living soul while I was here. On seven separate occasions, I had to wake up early and stand in the freezing cold in line for over two hours; I only made it in twice. By the time that I should have had my document, I was past due in needing it. And the required more documents that I HAD ALREADY GIVEN THEM!! Exasperated, I contacted the head of education in Montpellier (1 1/2 hrs away), and demanded that she help me get my visa. I finally got it...at the end of February.

- Getting my "Carte Vitale": I sent off the request for my carte vitale about two months ago. It came back to me, saying that I had forgotten to attach a photocopy of my identity card. Would have been nice if they had instructed me to include it, don't you think? So I sent them a copy of my passport, and just got a letter yesterday saying that it was not "receivable." What does that even MEAN??

- Getting housing assistance: I've been living in my apartment since December, but I was only allowed to qualify for a program called the CAF once I got my carte de sejour. Although I got my visa in February, I wrongly waited until March to submit my claim. The man at the counter looked over my documents, and told me that everything looked fine, and that I should be hearing from them within 10-15 days. It sounded too good to be true! And, it was. They took two weeks to let me know they had received my claim, and another two weeks to let me know that I hadn't checked two of the boxes (why didn't the man at the counter tell me to check those boxes, hmmmm??). So I resubmitted my claim, included a copy of my visa, and today I get two more letters: one asking me if my apartment has been my primary residence (again, why didn't the man at the counter ask me this a month and a half ago?!), and another saying that my visa will soon no longer be valid, and that I need to wait until it has been renewed. Augh!

- Getting my pay for working extra hours in November: This is the one that frustrates me the most. Back in November, I gave up a week of my two-week vacation so that I could work at school and make some extra euros. I was told that the payment process would take a while, and that I needed to be patient. Only in January did I get a letter saying, "In order to complete your payment, we need..." So I submitted the required documents, and waited a while longer. By March, I realized that I was the only one who hadn't been paid for working in November. I started asking around. My contact lady generously agreed to talk to both the Vice-Principal and the secretary on my behalf. When that didn't help, I went directly to the secretary and re-sent my documents to the head of education in Montpellier. That still hasn't worked. I still haven't been paid for working five months ago. And I am nearly to the point of no forgiveness. I am livid. In my American mindset, that is unacceptable -- waiting five months to be paid?! That would never happen at home!!

I love France, but these little things have turned into bigger things that grate on my nerves. I don't understand why they complicate things and make life so difficult!

Makes me so glad to be going home soon. I know the U.S. is far from perfect, but at least we process our documents in a timely manner.

And I'll salute my flag for that.

No comments: