Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Two-Month Mark

I've officially been back from France for two months. It hardly seems possible that time could go by so quickly. But still, I've had so many changes since coming back home. For one, I've already moved three times. And instead of taking a teaching job in Salem, I'm holding out for a different teaching job in central Oregon and working at Starbucks in the meantime. Instead of being in the city, as I'd planned, I moved out to the high desert in what many consider to be the middle of nowhere.

But I absolutely love it.

I'm happier now than I've been in many years, and I feel like I have direction and a clear purpose. There are things that I miss about France, of course, but for the most part, I am so very glad to be home.

I'd kill for some good wine on most days, I'd love some moldy goat cheese, and I sure miss the sound of the roaring TGV. But on a crisp Central Oregon morning, when the sun is just rising above the rimrock, and I know that the only thing between me and the border to Idaho is the desert and a few random farms, I just have to smile and remember that, in the end, I love Oregon.

No comments: