Thursday, December 18, 2008

The strike, the wind, and the beat go on...

Today is Day Five of the students' strike, and Day Three of having no school. I heard this morning through the grapevine that the administration is still hesitant to let the mob of students in because of events elsewhere in southern France that have turned violent. In Carcassonne, the tourist town about 1 1/2 hours from Perpignan, a school administrator was attacked and hospitalized by the outraged students. In Prades, a village just to the west of Perpignan, a window in the school building was broken by protestors. In light of these events, the school has stayed closed...for the security of everyone involved.

In other news, the famous Perpignan Wind has come back with a vengance. Today we are having winds up to 120 kl/hr (75 mph), I heard -- and I believe it! Walking to the teachers' lounge just a few minutes ago nearly knocked me right off my feet! The Perpignan natives don't seem to be bothered by it. "Oh that," they'll tell me. "You just have to get used to it." Ha!

And, as teachers are disappearing for the holiday season, I bidding them a quick adieu before I, too, head out. I am leaving for Paris on the 23rd, where I'll spend Christmas Eve with my friend Vicky (another Fulbrighter) and her boyfriend at the restaurant on the Eiffel Tower. Should be a lovely time. After Christmas, I will be heading down to Poitiers to see my two host families. I am very much looking forward to going back to My Little Town. And afterward, I will return to Perpignan and (hopefully!) spend New Year's in Barcelona. Still waiting to hear about that one.

And, what's more important, tomorrow I move into my apartment! I am very, very excited about that!! Not excited about the cost of living there (anyone have a money tree growing in their back yard??), but I am looking forward to having a place of my own in the city. Especially since it has internet access.

1 comment:

Natasha Luepke said...

Oohh, if there's any Charles the Hammer stuff in Poitiers, take a photo for me!