Thursday, December 11, 2008

In the Land of Many Paradoxes

It’s amazing to me (and to other foreigners, as well) how much I can simultaneously love and hate the French. I love their culture – their way of looking at life, the way they pay such strong attention to detail, and how strong their relational bonds are – and yet I seem to ask myself “why do they do x or y?” every day.

Some things they do make absolutely no sense to me. For example, Carlos, the Spanish assistant from Colombia, and I were talking the other day about registering at the local university. Enrolling in a French university is much easier said than done. For one, there is no online course catalog. If you want to search for classes, you must look at the paper registry plastered to the walls outside of each department’s building. Want to take an English class? You must go to the Language and Literature building, and scan through the long wall of possible choices. Want to take a Biology class? You must go to the Biology building, and so on. It’s impossible! And then, to enroll, everything is done via paper. Yes, paper. Does the internet exist here? Yes. But apparently, the French didn’t get the memo. Carlos said, “I come from Colombia. Colombia. And we register online. I mean, who do these people think they are?” At least I’m not alone.

But what confuses me the most has only become visible to me now during the holiday seasons. I was told before coming to France about the “no hat” rule. In the past few years, France expanded their secular rules in Academia by passing a law which says that students may not wear anything deemed “religious.” In other words, no necklaces with crosses on it, no WWJD bracelets, no veils for Muslim girls. I was told that this was primarily because girls would come to school in burqas, and it was (and I quote) “distracting.” So, no hats, no veils, no scarves, no headbands. Nothing on anyone’s head.

And yet, despite this strict law, there is a large Christmas tree in the school cafeteria. Colorful garland hangs on the walls. And the staff room welcomes faculty with a hearty “Joyeux Noel” (Merry Christmas) sign. I have nothing against these symbols, of course, but I mean…where’s the consistency? Seriously. It’s odd.

I love being in a country as rich and complex as France. I am constantly learning, constantly being challenged in many areas of my life, and, of course…constantly, completely, and hopelessly confused.

No comments: