Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Countdown Begins: 44 More Days

All year long, I've looked forward to several benchmark events: Christmas in Paris, moving into my new apartment, Mom coming to visit, my April vacation. Everything seemed so far in the future and suddenly, without any warning, here I am at the end of my time in France! How did that possibly happen?

I have mixed feelings about the end of my time here. On the one hand, I'm so excited to get back home to Oregon -- to see my friends and family, to feel "normal" again, and to see what is coming next in my life. There's so much to look forward to! Oh, and did I mention Starbucks? Definitely can't wait for some good coffee a la USA.

On the other hand, I still feel like there's so much for me to do here. I feel like I have business at my school that I haven't finished -- people I haven't reached out to yet. Friends I haven't met. I have travels ideas that I don't have time or money for. There's a lot that I haven't done here, but then again, I knew from the beginning that I'd only be here for seven months. And I knew they'd go quickly.

Looking back, I see that my year has been marked into two distinct sections: BA and AD -- Before Apartment and After Dorm. My time living at the school seems so far away, and I cringe thinking of when I had to go to McDonald's to get my internet access and all those microwave dinners I ate because I didn't have a refrigerator. I sure do love my apartment, and my mother can certainly vouch why.

Looking forward, I still have a month and a half. And just so I can take advantage of all the time I have left, here is a list of some of the things I'm planning to do before I leave:

- Visit Cavaques, a coastal village in northern Spain where Dali used to live
- Go to Corsica for a week
- Visit a high school friend in Switzerland
- Take the Little Yellow Train through the foothills of the Pyrenees
- Go back to the Riviera, even though I was there four years ago
- Visit Andorra
- Try Catalan food

I know it sounds ambitious, but hey...isn't that the point? Guess I'd better get started.

No comments: