Thursday, October 9, 2008

"Do you know Brad Pitt?" "Do you have a boyfriend?" and other questions I will be asked daily from here on out

Today was my first day of teaching, and I worked with two English classes. The students spent a few minutes writing down questions they had about me, and the rest of the class time was spent with them asking me those questions. Funny thing was, many of the questions I had already anticipated. They have odd misconceptions about the States -- heightened, of course, by Hollywood and the media in general. Rather than ask about my family (or even the upcoming elections!!), they asked questions like these:

- Do you know Brad Pitt?
- Do you now Chris Brown or Rihanna?
- Do you know Maroon 5?
- Have you ever been to a famous concert? (still not sure what that means -- does the Point of Grace concert I went to count??)
- Do you loooooove Los Angeles? (Answer: NO)
- Do you watch One Tree Hill? (That one made me giggle)
- Do you watch Grey's Anatomy?
- Do you have a boyfriend? (No, then) What's your phone number?

Sigh. It will be an interesting year. I hope that we will all benefit from it.

3 comments:

Rachel Sedaker said...

I remember doing that with my students, except I I would have each student come to the front of the class and the class would ask 3 questions about me and the student at the front would try to guess the answers, which was fun. Some of my questions were "do you have any 'obbies?" and "do you watch Prison Break?" (that was huge when I was there) or, one of the best, "do you like (insert name of most annoying student here)?" Ah, this takes me back...

Sarah Eileen said...

You mean "preezon breek?" They asked me that, too.

ClaireCarpenter said...

I love that your students think you could possibly know any and all these famous people. It wouldn't occur to me to think that all of them knew Sarkozy or all owned a villa in the Loire valley. Silly high schoolers.