Monday, September 15, 2008

Thanksgiving in September


Hotel des Invalides

Paris,
France






With only six days left until I leave, I have been keeping busy with things to do: packing, cleaning out my room, giving stuff away, throwing stuff out, and saying good-byes (or rather, "see you laters") that I would just rather not say at all.

But one thing has me very excited: I am having Thanksgiving this Saturday! Yes, that is right: Thanksgiving. My mother asked what one thing I wanted to do before I leave, and I decided that I wanted to have a big dinner, with family and friends over, in order to say good-bye to them all at once. And I added to that when I decided to make that a Thanksgiving dinner, since I won't be here in November to celebrate (and I'll probably be teaching that day, too!). So, on the menu is the traditional turkey, stuffing, cranberries, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc. etc etc -- but with the added bonus of having it earlier in the year, and with family and friends who ordinarily wouldn't be able to come! I am certainly looking forward to it!!

Here are the details of the week to come:

Sunday, September 21: Leave for Paris (Portland --> Philadelphia --> Paris) at 9 am.

Monday, September 22: Arrive in Paris

Tuesday, September 23: Begin orientation in Paris

Wednesday, Sept. 24: Attend party for the 60th Anniversary of the Franco-American Education Commission at the Hotel des Invalides (the big, gold-domed building where Napoleon is buried)

Friday, September 26: Take the train to Perpignan


I am very excited to leave, but also getting nervous. I still have a lot of things to do, and I am quickly running out of time! But I am certainly looking forward to the adventures that are yet to come.

And, of course, the Thanksgiving dinner.

1 comment:

Sara Jameson said...

Sarah - have a wonderful time at dinner and in France. It will be just great. Great following your blog too. Do you have a new email? Let me know. Meanwhile, just like last year, we are scrambling to get the new TA's oriented starting Monday! Wow. We miss you, but know you are having a fine time.
Sara