Monday, September 22, 2008

Bienvenue à Paris!

Well, I made it! I had a very easy, very quick plane ride from Portland (even got some sleep!), and made a few friends along the way. Right now, I am sitting at one of the Starbucks in Paris, waiting for one of the other Fulbright girls to show up. I am so glad to meet someone before orientation begins.

But first, a bit of some true-to-France information: when I got off the plane in Paris, I went over to one of the buses to take me into town, bought a ticket, and waited. Then the guy in front of me says, "Y a des grèves aujourd'hui" (there are strikes going on today). Oh great, I thought. And hello back to you, Paris! So it was a slow trip into Paris, since most of the trains and buses were on strike (and thus everyone was driving their car). But I am here, I am wide awake (thank you, Starbucks), and I really, really miss my cell phone. I am a little too dependent on certain technologies!

After I meet up with the other Fulbright girl, I plan on checking in to my hotel, freshening up a bit (because I am sure that I look looovely after a long flight!), and then getting some things in order before orientation begins tomorrow.

One last thing: I guess I had forgotten (or willed myself to forget) how expensive everything is in Paris! From the 15 Euro bus ticket to the 10 Euro locker rental in Montparnasse to the 3 Euro shotglass of coffee at Starbucks, I can already feel my bank account screaming at me! Luckily, I have everything (and more!) that I could need, so all I must buy for now is food and some other essentials. Well. I say that now...

6 comments:

Sarah Eileen said...

Just as a comment to my own blog, I want to update everyone that I have a new phone number. The number from the States is: 011-33-6-42-73-91-28

Wayne said...

Seems that some things are the same no matter what country you're in, sounds like. The busses were on strike when I was in DC last week too, so I feel your pain! Glad you found some coffee to pass the time with :-)

We had a great meeting with at Ascent, and I'm looking forward to the getting to know the people more in the comming weeks.

Wayne said...

How about some more pictures? Or have you turned Gauthic?

Sarah Eileen said...

Hey now, gimme a break -- I just got here! I do have some good pictures, though. You'll appreciate them once they are on! :)

ClaireCarpenter said...

Hooray, you're in Paris! I'm not jealous at all :) Do you feel French yet, like you could blend in and no one would know you're an American??

Laura said...

Oh my gosh -- how fun, Sarah. Keep keepin' us updated.

Oh, and I have to say, though, that I sometimes wish you were here, so I could ask you questions about teaching 121 (which I'm doing two sections of this quarter!).