Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Elections...à la française

In the time that I have been in France, obviously the most important subject matter has been today's elections. Everyone I have met has asked me my opinion, and who I think will win (as if I have some supernatural ability to discern the future). That question is usually answered by me with another question: "You mean, who do I WANT to win?"

I've also heard students, from middle school to high school, discuss the elections in their classes. Some of their ideas of today's elections, as well as American politics in general, have made me giggle. Some excerpts from what I have heard (complete with French pronunciation). My apologies to any of my students who might be reading:

"The job of the president of the US is hard. The president is in charge of the Army, Navy, and Hair Force."

"I take 270 electoral votes to be elected president."

Me: In which country does a person need to be born to be President of the USA?"
Student: Washington, D.C.?
Me: No. In which country?
Student: Virginia?
Me: *sigh*

"I don't know anything about John McCain, but that's okay. Obama will win anyway. But it doesn't matter. Nothing will change anyway."

And my favorite: "PAS DE FRITES DE MCCAIN! PAS DE FRITES DE MCCAIN!!" (No McCain Fries, No McCain Fries!) = apparently, there is a brand of French fries in Europe called "McCain." Match that with the whole "Freedom Fries" thing, and...yeah. Oy.

No comments: